Monday, May 11, 2009

Collective Memory

collective memory 
–noun
1. a memory or memories shared or recollected by a group, as a community or culture.
2. any collection of memories passed from one generation to the next.

I am continually amazed how collective memory works here at The Commons--and, probably, many other senior residences. It happens a lot with music. An entertainer will start playing an old song and people join in singing. Despite the great trials and tribulations of the Great Depression and WWII, I think these events united people. Today the entertainer started playing "Sentimental Journey," played on warships coming home, and the people started singing and smiles emerged on faces. This collective memory serves people well, it takes them back to a time and place, it reunites them to what was--very important in later years.

It makes me wonder....when I'm living, not working, at the senior residence, what songs will be sung? What is in our collective memory? I haven't thought of anything yet...can you?

1 comment:

Becca Groves said...

Oh I have wondered this same thing so often! It makes me sad to think we are missing this collective memory piece.

HELLO!!! It's me! I heard you saw my folks and the Haugens at the Thai restaurant (my absolute favorite)in Apple Valley. Got a bit of an update. Would love to connect SOON. Maybe now that spring is here and we're not all carrying infectious diseases.

Joyfully,
Becca